Concatenate is a word that means to link something together.
Often the word concatenate is used when describing features in code. For example, when you concatenate two sections of PHP on the same line by using the ‘.’ character and two sections of Java by using the ‘+’ character. However, the meaning of ‘concatenate’ stretches to many disciplines, including writing. We concatenate words when we link two together to create a sound that is different from that made by the two words individually. ‘Cannot’ is an example of concatenation, where can and not have been linked together. The result of the concatenation is that the ‘n’ sound is shortened and linked together to make it easier to say in flowing speech.
‘Concatenate’ is also a function in some spreadsheets, where two or more strings (series of numbers or words) are linked together.
Concatenate is a verb.
Note that a verb is a doing word. Learn more about verbs from the Write Correctly ‘What is a Verb‘ section.
The word concatenate is derived from two Latin words – ‘con‘, which means ‘together‘, and ‘catena‘, which means ‘chain‘.
The Definition of Concatenate
The Cambridge Dictionary definition of concatenate is ‘to put things together as a connected series‘
As we can see, the dictionary definition uses the word ‘things’, which suggests that the word concatenate could be used in any context where anything (tangible or not) is linked together to form a series, chain, or amalgamation of things where the original things can still be determines and they are joined in series.
- Concatenate is the root (infinitive) form of the verb.
- Concatenated is the past form of the verb concatenate
- Concatenated is the past participle
- Concatenating is the -ing form of the verb (the present participle)
- Concatenates is the -s form of the verb (third party – he, she, or its)
Please note that the word concatenation is a noun. This is because concatenation is the name (nouns are naming words – read more about nouns here) of the action or doing, rather than the actual action of joining something together in a series. We hope that this makes sense. You can ask questions in the comments section below if you would like any clarification.
Example Sentences that Contain the Word ‘Concatenate’
- In order to link two strings in PHP, you need to concatenate the strings by using the appropriate character.
- Organisms are created by a concatenation of events where cells divide and replicate.
- The word cannot is where the words can and not have been concatenated.
- The concatenation of chords produces the harmony that you can hear when listening to music.
- To concatenate when writing in Java, you can use the + character.
- The leader caused a concatenation of events that lead to a positive outcome.
Hopefully, this post that aims to define the word concatenate has been helpful. We intend to develop more sections on coding and writing copy for websites soon.
Please bookmark this website and tell your colleagues and friends about it if you have found it useful.
Thank you for visiting WriteCorrectly.com.
Leave a Reply